So much is falling to the wayside as I determine what is unhelpful on my road to recovery. I realize that I’m kind of up against it, and if I’m going to go the remainder of my life without the use of opioids to manage my most difficult symptoms, I need to make sure [almost] everything I do aligns with that goal.
While some things haven’t made the cut, others have made a resurgence in my life, or even a first appearance. Here’s a bit of what I’m finding helpful, whether it’s for inspiration, information, or a replacement for my medication [see what I did there?].
Book : The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown
- I’m reading so much lately. This recommendation comes from one of my doctors at Silver Hill and it is phenomenal! A good book for probably anyone.
Meditations : A collection of eight guided meditations from youarenotyourpain.com
- The accompanying book You Are Not Your Pain by Vidyamala Burch is, in my opinion, a worthwhile read if you’re going to listen to the meditations on the site, or if you’re a novice meditator [like me!].
- I have everything dowloaded to my iCloud so that first thing in the morning when I’m ready to meditate I can quickly access the file I need.
Apple Cider Vinegar
- A bottle of Bragg’s is always in my refrigerator, but it’s been consumed much more rapidly since I returned home. I don’t particularly enjoy drinking it, but I know it’s helping heal my gut, which is the source of so many issues, including arthritis.
- I took a break from epsom salt baths, but now they’re back! This brand is my favorite.
- I’ve relied on tape to stabilize my joints for years, but for whatever reason I got away from it. I have tried countless brands and determined that I like Mummy Tape best.
- Topricin is a new product for me. I usually use Salonpas patches, but they really stink…especially when I’m at the office or even just trying to sleep.
Blog : ihaventshavedinsixweeks.com
- Lindsey Hall seriously puts it all out there. She is basically the queen of transparency!
Instagram : @hurtblogger
- Britt has a wondeful collection of good habits, so I’ve enjoyed
stalking hercasually checking in on what she’s up to when I need an extra push in the right direction.
- As I’m trying to bring my tv-watching time down I’m listening to music more. “Human” by Rag’n’Bone Man, “Sounds Good to Me” by Nelly, and the Dear Evan Hansen soundtrack are just a few of my favorites right now.